I normally enjoy the 3 dimensional puzzle that loading a kiln presents, but ol’ # 10 is wearing me out. I have close to 50 birds of various sizes and shapes and they fit together a lot differently than my functional work. They are also a lot bigger so I’m ignoring some of my standard kiln packing strategies.
It will also change how the kiln fires and I’m optimistic that it will be improved by being more open. There’s a lot more ‘airspace’ around everything. These photos are from yesterday showing the two 12″x24″shelves in the back of each chamber. I left Jason in town today and came close to finishing the front layer in both. Tomorrow we will put up the doors, do a little preheat and then gather our forces to set a fire alight on Wednesday night. I started making these pots in January…it’s been a long road!
The drive into the property has plenty of birds and wildlife to welcome me each day.